So I have been making improvements to the location app I blogged about recently. The first cut of the app wasn’t really all that much of an achievement as I could have done the same with a file and a webserver, without needing an app written in go. Now in my last blog post I stated that I would build an API, and I have done so. I have also moved the default page, and created a new one. If you choose to look at the code you will notice a function for checking an id and key (which are both currently hard coded to “test”) this is to allow multiple locations to be shared (via a randomly generated ID) and also make it harder to enumerate the location ID’s that the system knows about by pairing that with a randomly generated key. The creation of these ID’s and keys is going to be what I work on next, as well as some optimisations to the code.
So in my previous blog post I said I was going to try and build a web app to find someone’s location using their smartphone’s location services. The first step in this is choosing a language and/or framework to build it in. I’ve decided to use Go, which a former collegue of mine tells me makes me a hipster.
So I have an unusual workflow for my blog. There are a number of instructions on the web for deploying a jekyll based site template to a server from a git repo, and having the content auto built into the web root. Although I do store my jekyll blog in a git repo, and have my webhosts set up to receive files automatically from git, I do not do this.