So, I use Apache Roller as the application my blog runs on. A new version of this has come out (I was on 5.0 and 5.1 has been released) so I decided to upgrade.

This has resulted in the theme I was using breaking, badly, so I have had to move to the basic theme. I can't be bothered to tweak that right now, but I don't like it much either, so I am going to have too eventually. It also appears to have broken rss feeds, such that if you do follow my blog with an rss reader you get all my blog entries again (or at least it does in tiny tiny rss) so sorry about that.

Worse than all that however is the fact that I decided to take this opportunity to update to openjdk-7 (from openjdk-6) and tomcat 7 (from tomcat 6). The server this blog is running on used to be Debian 6, but was dist-upgraded to Debian 7 (which went terribly smoothly at the time) and the older versions of java and tomcat were left over from that. This process was far more laborious than it should have been, largely due to me having forgotten all the steps I had taken to get Roller working on tomcat 6 in the first place (the java upgrade was painless mind, so I did that bit right at least).

It's a good job I'm not getting paid for looking after this server, I'm apparently not doing a very good job of it.

posted at 10:34:09 PM on 19 Jan 2015 by Craig Stewart

Tags:web sysadmin oops screwup breaking mistakes fail should-know-better embarrassing